There are different accounting/accountant jobs and so are their job descriptions different. These include accounting adjunct, administrative assistant, analyst, clerk, manager, consultant, associate, coordinator, staff accountant, and accounting technician.
Others include account payable analyst, assistant, associate, account payable manager, processor, representative, accounting specialist, supervisor, and cost accounting.
Example 1: Accounting Analyst Job Description
The Accounting Analyst will be a strategic partner to the branch general manager and will provide counsel, support and leadership on financial matters that impact the organization. He/She will be primarily responsible for all financial planning, analysis and internal controls matters.
The Accounting Analyst will perform all or some of the following duties and responsibilities:
- The Accounting Analyst will ensure a timely and accurate monthly financial close in accordance with the published calendar and documented procedures. This includes the preparation of journal entries, review of the general ledger and production of financial statements and related analyses such as percentage of completion schedules.
- The Accounting Analyst will coordinate and lead a monthly management review of key financial and operational results.
- He/She will coordinate and be an active participant in management (`9s preparation of monthly financial forecasts and annual plan.
- Partnering with branch general and operating managers, the Accounting Analyst will provide financial analyses and counsel on strategic decisions.
- He/She will ensure compliance with corporate internal control requirements including financial and operational policies and procedures, preparation of reconciliations, review and approval procedures, signature authorization matrices and segregation of duties.
- Perform other duties required.
Minimum Requirements / Knowledge / Skill For Accounting Analyst Job
- The Accounting Analyst should have minimum 5 years of progressive accounting experience.
- He/She should demonstrate experience with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- The Accounting Analyst must possess outstanding analytical skills.
- Experience with QuickBooks accounting system preferred.
- He/She should have general business acumen and the capability to assist management in developing tools used to measure the performance of the business and its investments.
- The Accounting Analyst should have strong interpersonal skills – the he/she should be able to work collegially and effectively with other members of the team and should be able to communicate successfully with partner companies.
- He/She should possess a high level of organizational skills to manage a wide variety of tasks simultaneously and to handle administrative functions that may not be related to accounting.
- The Accounting Analyst should have research experience and strong written and oral communication skills.
Minimum Educational Requirements / Certification / Licensure For Accounting Analyst Job
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business from a four-year, accredited institution.
Example 2: Accounting Assistant Job Description
The Accounting Assistant will be responsible for processing accounting documents such as requisitions, purchase orders and payment to vendors for goods and services purchased by the Department of Human Services (DHS). The Accounting Assistant is in the Financial Management Bureau of DHS.
The Accounting Assistant will perform all or some of the following duties and responsibilities:
- Using an enterprise resource planning (ERP) software system to initiate requisitions, purchase orders and vendor invoices.
- Research and verify vendor payment information.
- Monitor receivables.
- Maintain records and files.
- Interact with staff and vendors and respond to inquiries.
- Perform data entry of invoices and creation of bills using a database.
- Distribute checks to vendors.
- Assist in monthly closing and year-end close-out procedure which involves processing revenue and expense budget documents.
- Process journal entries and prepare financial reports.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
Minimum Requirements / Knowledge / Skill For Accounting Assistant Job
- Possess accuracy and attention to detail, good communication skills, teamwork, flexibility, ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Possess experience initiating purchasing requisitions, purchase orders and vendor payments for a large organization.
- Experience preparing financial reports and participating in monthly period closing and year-end close-out procedures.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office, (Word, Excel and Access).
Minimum Educational Requirements / Certification / Licensure For Accounting Assistant Job
- High school diploma or the equivalent plus one year of experience in accounting procedures.
- Substitution: An Associate’s degree from an accredited college or university, which includes the successful completion of 6 semester hours (9 quarter hours) in accounting, may be substituted for the experience requirement.
Example 3: Accountant Job Description
The Accountant, working closely with the Assistant Controller, will be responsible for effectively managing the day to day financial operations of the Company by providing strong assistance in optimizing the management controls of the Company, duly maintaining the general ledger accounts and managing financial monthly, quarterly and year-end closing.
The Accountant will perform all or some of the following duties and responsibilities:
- Invoice Codification – Journal Entries – Reconciliation of expense accounts – Bank Reconciliation
- Balance Sheet Account Reconciliation
- A/R Invoicing and Reconciliation
- Reporting schedules preparation
- Fixed Asset Accounting maintenance
- CAPEX follow up and Reporting
- The Accountant will prepare and report Financial Statements
- He/She will prepare Reporting Package
- He/She will perform Daily, Weekly and Monthly Sales Report
- Perform other duties that may be assigned.
Minimum Requirements / Knowledge / Skill For Accountant Job
- The Accountant must possess strong SAP Knowledge
- Wholesale / Retail industry background a plus
- He/She must be detail-Oriented and Organized
- The Accountant must have good Communication skills
- He/She must be a Team Player
- He/She must possess strong time management skills to handle multiple tasks and effectively prioritize workload
- The Accountant should be flexible with work hours
- He/She must possess the ability to efficiently work under pressure.
- Minimum Educational Requirements / Certification / Licensure For Accountant Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and 2-5 years relevant work experience.